Other Ways of Experiencing Summer Classes
If participating in the full UConn First Summer program doesn’t fit into your summer plans, you are always welcome as an incoming student to take classes on your own during any summer session that fits your schedule.
See our summer website for more information about our full summer offerings.
Come Experience UConn First Summer!
UConn First Summer has many benefits for incoming UConn freshmen and transfer students. During First Summer you will jump into the heart of your UConn coursework early, taking two general education courses, which are the foundational pieces of any degree at UConn. These courses have been hand-picked by the most experienced members of the advising community in every College, School and Program to best get you going on your academic career.
Outside the classroom, UConn First Summer is about making connections: with the campus, with the services available to you, with the surrounding community and, most importantly of all, with other incoming UConn students. More than anything else, UConn First Summer students tell us: the most meaningful take-away from First Summer were the lasting friendships they made.
UConn First Summer enables you to
- Start your transition to UConn before the busy semester begins
- Enjoy the rich academic and personal experience offered by a residential program
- Complete two courses toward your UConn degree
- Experience UConn’s excellent teaching faculty
- Gain skills for college success through events designed just for you
- Try a class in a subject new to you, perhaps discovering a new academic interest or career path
- Plunge into the rigorous, rich experience of the small summertime classroom environment
- Are you an Honors student? Jump right in to both your UConn general and Honors requirements
- Take part in a range of educational and fun activities
- Become familiar with UConn and the Storrs campus during the more relaxed summertime
- Explore the new Storrs Downtown and surrounding region on your own and through organized activities
- Make lasting friends you'll take with you into your first semester at UConn and beyond!
Investing in you!
Beyond the courses we offer, the key component of UConn First Summer is the community we create. Critical to this community-building are the students who support the program as UConn First Summer Student Mentors.
Under the supervision of our graduate student UConn First Summer Coordinator, our First Summer Student Mentors work hard to make sure the First Summer program is a great one for you. Drawing on their experience both as former First Summer students and as current UConn students, our mentors are able to offer new UConn students many levels of support throughout the program.
Meet our amazing staff!
2017 UConn First Summer Coordinator
Ph.D. Student in Neuroscience
CLAS '14 (Majors: Biology and Psychology)
Hometown: Stonington, CT
Campus Involvement (undergrad): Resident Assistant, Cultural Centers, Greek Life, Learning Communities, First Year Experience Mentor, Kids & UConn Bridging Education
Dream Job: Professor of Neuroscience--both teaching and lab research
2017 UConn First Summer Student Mentors
Year: Sophomore (will be Junior in the fall, Class of 2019)
Major: Business Management, Minor: Communications
Hometown: Simsbury, CT
Campus Involvement: Greek Life, Sports Business Association, Special Olympics Soccer
Dream Job: work for UConn or Major League Soccer
Year: Freshman (will be Sophomore in the fall, Class of 2020)
Major: Psychological Sciences
Hometown: Torrington, CT
Campus Involvement: Global House Learning Community, Leadership Certificate Series, Psychology Club, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
Dream Job: a career in neuromarketing!